Our mind works best when we are relaxed, aware, and in the present moment.
Before your Hour of Power, take a few moments to chill out and get in the Zone!
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Start to become aware of the room.
- Notice any sounds in the room.
- Notice the temperature of the room.
- Notice the smells in the room.
- Notice the taste in your mouth.
- Say to yourself, “I am here and ready to focus. ” Then take a few deep breaths.
- When you inhale, breathe in positivity and concentration.
- When you exhale, breathe out all of your worries of the day that may distract you.
- Picture all those stresses leaving the body and mind completely.
- Place your hands on your stomach. Feel your stomach inflate like a balloon on the inhale and visualize the belly expanding with positivity and concentration.
- On the exhale, feel the belly deflate like a balloon as you exhale any stress.
- Then put place your hands on your chest and feel the chest rise on the inhale and fall on the exhale.
- Inhale positivity and concentration and exhale stress.
- Notice the air enter through your nose on the inhale and leave the nose or the mouth on the exhale.
- Inhale positivity and focus and exhale stress. Do this a few more times.
- Say again, “I am are here and ready to focus.”
During your hour of power, there may be times when you feel restless, bored, or stressed. This is completely normal! When this happens, just tell yourself to
S: Stop what you’re doing
T: Take a deep breath
O: Observe that you got distracted.
P: Proceed with what your assignment
You can ALWAYS return to the breath when you need a quick moment to refocus and relax. The breath is just like an anchor on a ship. When a ship is in rough or choppy waters, the captain can throw down the anchor to make sure the ship doesn’t get off track. Like the captain, if your mind starts to get worried or loses its focus, you can notice the breath to get your mind back on track.
Great Job! You are now ready to begin your Hour of Power!